Jedburgh Community and Arts Centre is adjacent to St. John’s Church. It is the former Church school, which was built at the same time as the Church and with the same purpose – that of serving the community.
The school building was designed in 1844 by the nationally important Victorian architect, William Butterfield, who was also the architect for Keble College Oxford, St. Augustine’s College Canterbury, the Chapel and Quadrangle of Rugby School and many other well-known buildings.
The school functioned for the children of Jedburgh and district for more than a hundred years but eventually its purpose was taken over by Jedburgh Grammar School and latterly it became a Church Hall for St. John’s.
In 2002 the Old School was given new life when it was taken over by the Jedburgh Community and Arts Centre to become a resource for the local population for recreational, leisure, cultural and educational pursuits. After major refurbishment and upgrading for all users including the disabled, the Centre has become established as a warm and friendly venue for many community activities.
The Centre, which is now a recognised non-profit-taking Scottish Charity, is managed by an unpaid group of volunteer Trustees and is available for community use by individuals and groups at a reasonable rent of £8 per hour which covers the basic running costs of the building. Special terms are negotiable for individuals or groups wishing to rent accommodation on a long-term basis. Young and old enjoy using the Centre including the Jedburgh Out of School Club, Choir groups, Babies and Toddlers, Lunch Clubs and many individuals who have used the Playroom for children’s parties, the Butterfield Gallery for Art Exhibitions and the Blue Room for weddings and wakes. There are three large meeting rooms, two kitchens and the usual toilet facilities with disabled access. Outside there is a pleasant garden and children’s play area.