St. John’s Old School is adjacent to St. John’s Church. It was built as a Church school with the same purpose – that of serving the community.
The school building was designed in 1844 by the celebrated Victorian architect, William Butterfield, who was also responsible for Keble College Oxford, St. Augustine’s College Canterbury, the Chapel and Quadrangle of Rugby School and many other well-known buildings. It opened in 1845.
It closed in 1963, when the building was handed back to St. John’s and became the Church Hall. After twenty years as Jedburgh Community and Arts Centre, host to many activities including out-of-school care for children, it becomes in October 2021 the Jedburgh home of Cheviot Youth.